Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Fall Rain Food


I will say that aside from the impending doom of cold snow, and darkness, one thing that I love about fall is the food.  I must have a thing for beta-carotene because I can't get enough of those dark-hued vegetables.  Squash, pumpkin, beets, yams, you name it - I want to eat it.  I've already been enjoying the spoils of these root/gourd items in the form of pumpkin gnocchi, pumpkin pie, sweet potato soup, oatmeal sweet potato muffins and squash soup.


The last couple of days have brought a whole slew of wind, sudden cold and rain, all of which seem to point to one dish:  biscuits and gravy.  I never thought of myself as a biscuits and gravy type of gal, until I got to thinking about a little dish called "chicken a 'la king".  Growing up I always enjoyed this dinnertime staple, what with it's shredded, saucy poultry, peas, and mushrooms (two of my favorite vegetables).  Good thing I have a Romsdahl (my maternal namesake) Kokebok (that's Norsk for cookbook, duh) on hand!  My adaptation of Adele Romsdahl Umhoefer's recipe found therein was pretty damn good, if I do say for myself.


Chicken a' la King
6 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 can mushrooms (or fresh, sliced, to taste)
1/2 - 3/4 C flour
3 C low sodium chicken broth
2 C milk
6 T peas (I used frozen)
4 C chicken, cooked and chopped
pepper


Saute pepper and mushrooms (if fresh) in butter until just softened.  Blend in flour, stirring to make a roux.  Slowly stir in broth and milk.  Add mushrooms (if canned), peas, and chicken.  Stir constantly until thickened.  Pepper liberally (to taste).  Serve over baking powder biscuits fresh out of the oven.  Makes approx. 5 servings.  

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog Annie. :) And I love Chicken ala King too. :)

    Love Karen

    ReplyDelete

UA-38014729-1